The Haitian Campaign Medal was a United States Navy military award which was first established on June 22, 1917, and again on December 6, 1921.The medal was first intended for members of both the Navy and U.S. Marine Corps who had served ashore in Haiti from and or was aboard the cruiser and flagship USS Washington (ACR-11) or any of the other thirteen named ships of the United States fleet under the command of Rear Admiral William B. Caperton on July 9 through December 6, 1915, for the purpose of protecting life and property during a revolution in Haiti.Another version of the medal was made in 1921 which was intended again for Navy and Marine Corps members who engaged in operations, either ashore or afloat in Haiti on April 1, 1919 through June 15, 1920.The two Haitian Campaign Medals are basically the same awards, with the only difference being the dates inscribed at the bottom of the front or obverse side of each medal, either 1915 or 1919-1920. For those eligible in both time periods a campaign clasp is worn on the 1915 version of the medal with a 3⁄16 inch bronze star worn on the service ribbon. The medal was designed by Rudolf Freund (1878-1960) of Bailey, Banks & Biddle. Both the first and second versions of the Haitian Campaign Medal may not be worn simultaneously.The medal(s) are no longer an active award of the United States Navy and is considered obsolete. Modern day military operations in Haiti, such as the 1994 peacekeeping operations, are typically recognized by international military awards such as the NATO Medal.
Read more or edit on Wikipedia