Paris Law Faculty of the former University of Paris || for the period from the Middle Ages to the French Revolution, see Q20749392 || for the period 1806-1896, see Q20749406 || for the period 1886-1968, see Q20749407
The Paris Law Faculty (French: Faculté de droit de Paris) was one of the four and eventually five faculties of the University of Paris, nicknamed "the Sorbonne", from around 1150–1200 until 1970. Its two main buildings were place du Panthéon and rue d’Assas.Until the 19th century, the Paris Law Faculty was called "Faculté de décret" or "Consultissima decretorum". After the Edict of Saint-Germain of April 1679 reestablished the teaching of Roman law in Paris (which had been forbidden since 1223 by the decretal Super Specula), the faculty was known as the "faculty of civil and canon law". It was closed alongside other faculties on September 15, 1793, during the French Revolution.
In 1802, the faculty of law was re-opened, and was called "the School of Law of Paris" (l'École de droit de Paris). In 1896, the law faculty and the henceforth four other Parisian faculties were grouped together to recreate the University of Paris. In the late 1950s, it became a "faculty of law and economics".
Following the events of May 1968, the faculties of the University of Paris became independent universities Most law professors (88 out of 108) decided to perpetuate the faculty of law and economics and created Panthéon-Assas University but some joined interdisciplinary universities like Panthéon-Sorbonne University, Paris Descartes University, Paris-Est Créteil University.
Read more or edit on Wikipedia