Private liberal arts college in Purchase, New York
Manhattanville College is a private college offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in Purchase, New York. Founded in 1841 at 412 Houston Street in lower Manhattan, it was known initially as "Academy of the Sacred Heart", then later as "Manhattanville College" after 1847. In 1917, the academy received a charter from the Regents of the State of New York to raise the school officially to a collegiate level granting degrees as the "College of the Sacred Heart". The school moved to its current location further north, in a suburb beyond New York City in Purchase, New York, in 1952. It is near the hamlet of Harrison in Westchester County.
Approximately 1,600 undergraduate and 900 graduate students attend Manhattanville, with students coming from 45+ countries and 35+ American states.The architectural and administrative centerpiece of the Manhattanville campus is Reid Hall (1864) which was named after Whitelaw Reid, publisher and owner of the New-York Tribune, one of the leading newspapers in the nation for a century. On either side of Reid Hall stand academic buildings on one side and on the other residence halls around a central quad designed by the landscaping / architect Frederick Law Olmsted, also the designer of New York's landmark Central Park in the 1850s and 1860s. The Manhattanville community regards the central quad and buildings as representing the academic vision of the college's commitment to integrated learning and centered strengths. Other historic buildings include the Lady Chapel, the President's Cottage known as the Barbara Debs House, the old Stables, and Water Tower.
Read more or edit on Wikipedia