New-York Tribune

newspaper published in New York City (1841-1922)

The New-York Tribune was an American newspaper founded in 1841 by editor Horace Greeley. It bore the moniker New-York Daily Tribune from 1842 to 1866 before returning to its original name. From the 1840s through the 1860s it was the dominant newspaper first of the American Whig Party, then of the Republican Party. The paper achieved a circulation of approximately 200,000 in the 1850s, making it the largest daily paper in New York City at the time. The Tribune's editorials were widely read, shared, and copied in other city newspapers, helping to shape national opinion. It was one of the first papers in the north to send reporters, correspondents, and illustrators to cover the campaigns of the American Civil War. It continued as an independent daily newspaper until 1924 when it merged with the New York Herald. The resulting New York Herald Tribune remained in publication until 1966. Among those who served on the paper's editorial board were Bayard Taylor, George Ripley, and Isidor Lewi.Edgar Allan Poe's poem "Annabel Lee" was first published in the newspaper as part of his October 9, 1849 obituary, "Death of Edgar A. Poe", by Rufus Griswold. In addition, Poe's "The Bells" was published in the October 17, 1849 issue as "Poe's Last Poem".
Read more or edit on Wikipedia

main subject: New-York Tribune

0
you are offline