inventaire *means "inventory" in French
Some of the last books listed
Our mission & values
Empowering the Transition
This is an experiment about resources and capabilities. Given a resource you have or you look for, what are your possibilities? Make, give, get from a gift, lend, borrow, rent, buy, sell, upcycle, recycle... The goal of the Inventaire project is to map those possibilities, make alternatives visible. At the same time, this is about easing resources data transparency and openness, and the transmission of those data from the business to the customer.
Just Books. For now.
That's already a wide program isn't it? Let's start small: just mapping books in your network or nearby, available for giving, lending or selling. Peer to peer first, but integrating local libraries and local booksellers in the map as soon as possible.
Built on and for Open Knowledge
Information on resources should be free and open for citizens to be empowered in their daily choices. What if our daily interactions with resources, our transactions, were contributing to make everyone's knowledge on those resources grow? Inventaire is an experiment to make a step in this direction, starting by using Wikidata - the awesome public database gathering facts for Wikipedia - as a starting point to gather data on resources. All public data gathered in Inventaire will be published under an open licence.
Built on and in Open Source
Closed centralized systems grow dependency and lock-in the user in this system, while contributive, free and open knowledge needs trust to thrive. Trust comes from the possibility always opened to take what was built together and continue somewhere else, to explore new avenues or if the choices made here start to diverge from what the community expects. That's why Inventaire's code is a Free/Open software published under the AGPL3 licence. Today, the Inventaire experiment has a centralized technical architecture as decentralized architectures are hard to achieve: efforts are focused on bringing users value from open knowledge with as little pain as possible, but finding ways to overcome this centralization is part of the trip.
You own your data
For advanced users, you can already download your inventory data at any time. In the future, data should be interoperable and synchronizable with Personal Data Stores. In the current architecture, the user has to entrust Inventaire with all her data: those private data won't be shared with any third party
Totally randomly-selected messages from the people of the Internet
- @inventaire_io is awesome! It's inter-library loan for personal libraries. Having fun loading my library now tweet by Chad Whitacre
- Awesome new project building on top of Wikidata tweet by Wikidata
Reading @inventaire_io's roadmap: "Clues on the revenue model
- it won't be advertising
- it won't be selling users data"
I love you, guys ! tweet by PetiPandaRou
- Contribute to @inventaire_io library development > How you can contribute. This project's doing everything right #opensource #openknowledge tweet by chroma_space
- awesome collaborative library initiative h/t @inventaire_io tweet by Common Libraries
- TO-DO : inviter tous mes potes sur @inventaire_io pour enfin savoir à qui j'ai emprunté ce super bouquin, pris en otage chez wam tweet by schanoird
- Mapping resources using open knowledge: starting with books! – Maxime
- Wikidata: The New Rosetta Stone – Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona Lab
- Ethical alternatives to Amazon Books, Kindle, Audible and Goodreads – switching.social
- Entretien avec Maxime Lathuilière, fondateur d’Inventaire.io – Bibliobsession
- 12 initiatives – Une éphéméride solidaire et positive pour 2016 – Alternatives en marche
- Les Modèles économiques ouverts – Les Bricodeurs
- Entretien avec Maxime Lathuilière – Sylvia Fredriksson
- Libre à Vous : présentation d'inventaire.io – Libre à Vous
- Radio Pluriel - Culture(s) Numérique(s) - n°4 - JDLL 2019 – Culture(s) Numérique(s)
Mapping resources with open knowledge - Talk @ OuiShare Labs Camp #3
Présentation d'inventaire.io @ Hackadon Paris 2015
Discussion autour d’inventaire.io avec Xavier Coadic @ SummerCamp Kerbors 2016
Masterclass inventaire.io @ OpenCityLab - Lyon 26-01-2017
Tutoriel : présentation de l’outil Inventaire pour gérer sa bibliothèque
All the wonderful people
improving the data, here or on Wikidata,
designing the project's future,
contributing code or technical insights,
enriching the Wiki,
A big thank you to all of you who are making this project grow everyday!
Standing on the shoulders of libre and open source giants!